Wednesday, February 29, 2012

February 29, 2012

Today I will show you the two latest projects I have just taken off the knitting needles.  The first are two scarves that I knit from left over yarns.  Since both are the same, I am only showing one.  The yarn is nubby yarn, called Cindy, Bouquet.  I cast on 40 stitches, used a size 8 needle and just did a garter stitch.  It gave the scarf texture and made it look like it was more work creating it than it actually was.  The scarf is very warm.
This next project is a pair of boot socks.  I used the pattern from the booklet, The Magic Loop.  I used the pattern directions as they were written, but find that the socks were loose in fit.  I used Lion Brand, Wool-Ease Worsted, which I have found has stretch in it, which doesn't always go back to the original shape after washing and drying.  The second pair, I used one size smaller needle than the directions called for, but think I could go down at least one more needle size for even a better fit.  On the second pair, I also knit in some nylon thread to give the sock a bit of longer wear.  The pattern didn't call for a ribbing at the top, but you will see in the second pair, I did knit on a ribbing, which I like so much better than without.
If you are just beginning to knit socks, I would recommend the booklet: The Magic Loop, for the directions are well written, and you are using larger threads and needles to learn with.  I made my daughter at least 7 pair of these socks and she loves them.  She mentioned that she would like a closer fit.  The next time I use this pattern, I am going to use a different kind of washable worsted wool to see if it is the yarn I used, or, if indeed, one needs to go down a size or two in needles.

I got carried away with buying sock books, so will move on to the smaller yarn, smaller needles and different patterns.  I cruised the internet and found sales on discontinued sock yarns, and bought enough for several pairs of socks.  I am a slow knitter, so don't look for the new socks to be posted anytime too soon.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

February 28, 2012

The month of February was way too busy for me to do much computer work.  I am happy to be back on my blog.  Winter is almost over in my part of the world, spring will soon be here and I can open the windows and let the fresh breezes blow through the house.  I can hardly wait for those days to get here!

I was only going to put completed projects on this blog, but when cleaning, I came across these embroidered ladies and thought you would enjoy seeing them.  The ladies are from a pattern called: Victorian Ladies, #222, from Remembrances Two, Chesterland, Ohio. There are 12 ladies in this pattern.  The background fabric I used is a Moda, #9900-12 and the blocks are size 16-1/2 inches square.  The pattern called for number 12 Sulky thread, but I couldn't locate the thread locally.  I substituted DMC, size 12, Pearl Cotton, color number 814.  The only complaint I have with the Pearl Cotton is that it doesn't leave a clean, sharp embroidered line.  I started this project in January of 2005.

I have no idea as to when I will get the remaining ladies embroidered, because I can't find the pattern for the rest of them.  I found the background cut blocks, but the pattern wasn't with the cut fabric.  Guess I must clean a bit deeper.  The only part of this project I didn't enjoy, was/is, the tracing the pattern to the background fabric.  Even with a light box, it was labor intensive.
Here are the ladies that are done, enjoy.