Monday, January 9, 2012

January 9, 2012

This quilt is a scrappy quilt.  I took an online class with a group where the lesson we were to learn  was to loosen up in our quilting.  We cut our strips, placed them in a paper bag, then we picked the fabrics to be sewn together by pulling, sight unseen, from the bag.  The only time we could toss the strip back into the bag, is if we already had that strip sewn.  We made several strip combinations of not more than seven strips sewn together.  We then proceeded to cut the strips using the 45 degree angle on our rulers, which made a strip of diamonds.  We then laid the cut strips out so that no two alike pieces were side by side.  It was really a lot of fun and I will say, this quilt is one of my favorites.  I can look at the fabrics and remember what I made from each piece.  Many of the fabrics were scraps from clothing I made for my kids and myself.  Even found a couple of pieces from shirts that I made for my husband. 

I machine quilted the diamonds by quilting in the ditch and the black outside border, was machine quilted with a cable design.

This exercise was very good for me, for I find it hard to be spontaneous in my work.  I am too rigid.  Give this method a try sometime, it isn't as easy as it sounds, for the temptation is there to find a matching strip to the fabric already in hand.  It was very hard for me to sew two strips together that looked horrible together.  But just see how pretty the quilt turned out in the end.

1 comment:

  1. Love your quilt! And that would be a nifty way to put the pieces together - might have to give it a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete